Major muscles worked: Glutes
- You will need a bench and a barbell (can also be performed on the Smith Machine.)
- Add in a resistance band around your thighs for an extra burn!
- While sitting with the barbell across you lap, place your feet shoulder width apart and in position so that at the top of the exercise your knees are in a 90 degree angle.
- Make sure your bench is locked in place so that it doesn’t slide back on you.
- Rest your upper back (shoulder blades) on the bench.
- If you have bony hips or going with heavy weight you may want to put a pad between the barbell and your hips.
- With your heels planted on the ground and your core tight hinge at the hip and drive the barbell up towards the ceiling using your glutes. Imagine driving your glute muscles up through your hips to the ceiling.
- Make sure to pause for a second at the top and get a good squeeze for optimal glute activation.
- Then control the movement back down to the bottom and repeat.
- This movement should be driven from hinging at the hips and pushing through at the top with your glutes.
Checkout Alyssa’s Instagram